Monday, February 16, 2009

First blog...maybe the last

It's been raining here quite a bit the past few weeks, and I love it. It reminds me of being up north, like in Seattle or on the Oregon Coast. The smell of fresh rain and wet earth, a cup of coffee in your hand, a melancholy song that makes you think about life...that's what I like about rain. Lately I've been listening to my brother-in-law Alex's cd. It's fantastic, and keeps the melancholy mood going (is that good or bad?...not sure).

Deep breath.

Sigh.

It's those deep breaths and sighs that help me slow down for a second and take stock of my life. I probably do it way too much, so much that I forget to get work done, but that's alright. Work will get done. My work, though it is always important, will fade soon enough. No point stressing about that. Kids will still hear God's Word, programs will still run, and people will still forget to come to church because it's raining outside.

Deep breath.

Sigh.

I wish I could just sit here in the Talbot lounge all day. Only, I wish it was a Starbucks, and I wish I had a coffee, and I wish I didn't have to go to class in 10 minutes. But I think part of what makes us successful is remembering that we can't sit all day and "reflect". That's what philosophers do, and some (actually most) of them are crazy. But it's good to take a little time to take stock of life. My conclusion about my life? Well, it's pretty darn good. I have a loving wife, a fantastic job, a great family, a roof over my head, and my health. Now if i could just get some friends, I'd be set. But that's another blog for another rainy, melancholy day.

Deep breath.

Sigh.

j

No comments:

Post a Comment